Sunday, May 28, 2006

The One That Doesn't Make Sense

Hey everyone. Sorry for not updating in a while. I know you all are constantly checking for new posts, waiting with eager anticipation for the next window into my life. So here you go. Anyone watch Friends? I don't really, but I seem to have seen all the ones that people talk about. One of my old roommates had them on DVD, so every once in a while I'd see a couple they were watching. But anyway, there's this one where Phoebe's smoke detector won't stop going off. This is that story.

I came home late Thursday night and found Joe still awake. We started talking, and I was rather annoyed by a single beep emanating from somewhere every minute or so. He said it had been going off all night, and I was determined to make it stop. I started with the smoke detector in the hallway outside the kitchen. We're constantly having to press the quiet button on this one because the slightest little thing sets it off. Literally, you pre-heat the oven, and opening the door - with nothing in there - will set the thing off. It's nuts.

So I'm on a stool fiddling with that one, and I hear the beep, but not in my ear as it should be. It sounds like it's coming from down the hall. So I head to Jonny and Dustin's room where Dustin is sleeping, and am pressing the button as I hear the beep from somewhere else. At this point we don't know where it's coming from, so we spread out manning each smoke detector in the house. Turns out it was the one in Joe's room all along. Thing is, there's no reason for it to be beeping. It's hardwired in to the electrical system, so it doesn't have a battery to die. I remove it from the ceiling and find out that it does, in fact, have a battery for backup purposes. I remove it, assuming it's low and it's just letting us know. As it's sitting on my desk not plugged in and without a battery, it beeps again. This doesn't make sense. There is no power going into this smoke detector. There is nothing enabling it to beep. But it won't stop. Even when it's completely taken apart on my desk, it's still beeping. Just like that episode of Friends.

No comments: