Saturday, September 17, 2005

Online!

Hey everyone. Sorry it’s taken so long to be able to post again. We’ve been without Internet until late last night, and I fell asleep at my laptop. But during my downtime, A LOT has happened around here. I’ll give a little information now, and hopefully expand later in the day. There’s a lot to do down here. We’re currently working to provide communications to four cities in the Biloxi area: Biloxi, D’Iberville, Pascagoula, and Hattiesburg. Situations vary in each location. In Biloxi, we’re helping their IT team regroup after losing their data center. We’ve established a wireless uplink (now a backup since their primary came up) and have helped them talk though a couple of issues. I hope to be able to send them a team of 3 or so just to help them rebuild. In D’Iberville, there’s nothing. The city has set up a medical and operations center which needs attention. They were able to get the cable company to run them a line, but it’s only in one building of the four building campus. So we’re going to put a very large antenna on a WAP and large tent facility which needs connectivity. Pascagoula has a network going, but no Internet. We’re hooking them up and linking in their police and fire stations. Hattiesburg just got on the list, so I don’t know what we’re doing out there yet. Probably more of the same. We’re also trying to work with other organizations in the area to not duplicate efforts. MCI is here, and they have lots of bandwidth. We’re talking through sharing. My job has turned into primarily coordination. I’ve been asked to serve now in the same capacity, just over the whole region. I’ll now be working with each of the individual Team Chiefs to coordinate efforts and get them resources. We have a lot of network down here, and if we play it right, we can easily cover this whole Gulf Bay area. I’ll have to update the "About" page when I get a chance to reflect this. Sorry this is so rushed, and I do have more to say. Now that I’m back online it will take me a while to dump what I’ve got, so please be patient. Thanks all for your continued support. I’ve gotta go hook up a tent city and medical center now. Later.

- Matt (currently in: D’Iberville, MS)

No comments: