Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Nothing to See Here....

Let’s see, what’s been going on. I started the day with a meeting between Intel, MCI, and Part-15. Intel and MCI are trying to deploy network services in the same area we already are, and we’re trying to figure out why. If we’re really all in this for the same reason, why are they trying so hard to muscle us out of town. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. Especially when the rules for this stuff read "first come, first serve." And the Chief of Staff of the FCC asks you to coordinate the efforts down here. It’s really annoying to have to spend half a day dealing with pushy people who claim to have no commercial interest, then talk all about their long-term commercial vision for the area. We’re just here as a band-aid to get officials back online as quickly as possible. Don’t care if they stay with us or go with them in the long run. Let’s just deal with now. Apparently these are concepts lost on some.

The guys spent the day out doing installs. We’ve provided service to a couple more city facilities in Biloxi, and will be lighting up City Hall in D’Iberville tomorrow along with a couple more relief centers. I’m trying to hold off on starting more new work until we get a bigger team here. Everyone is getting pretty tired now that we’re in week 2 of the deployment. I think a couple days of minimal work will be good for them. As for me, I spent the day doing admin stuff. Replying to a lot of emails and stuff. Had a phone call with the Mississippi Technical Alliance, which apparently is a thing. They represent all the high-tech industry in the state, and I asked them to see about getting us a couple hundred computers we really need. They’re going to see what they can do. That’s a huge need for us right now. Looking ahead, I think I’m only going to be able to be here another week or so. There’s only so long you can go without making any money, etc. Part of me would really like to stay here longer and see some of this stuff come to fruition, but I have stuff to deal with back at home too. Oh, a lot of people are asking me about Rita. We’re not changing anything. None of the locals seem very convinced it’s headed here. Either they have nothing left to lose, or they know what they’re talking about. In any event, I’m not concerned in the slightest for our safety. Everything we’re hearing here is that it’s headed straight for Texas. Think that’s about it for now. I have a couple hundred pictures I’ve compiled from various sources that just need to make their way online. I know a lot of you have asked about that, so I’ll see what can be done. If you know of a good gallery that just takes a directory and thumbnails, etc. AUTOMAGICALLY, let me know. Later, all.

- Matt (currently in: bed)

No comments: