Friday, June 06, 2008

Indo, Day 17: Finality

This was the last day in Indonesia. Most of the day was spent answering final questions and generally hanging around until it was time to go to the airport. It seems kind of strange to be leaving – I half expect to be flying back to Medan in four days, as has been my habit.

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for my health. I feel about 80% today and the flight to Singapore was uneventful, which was relieving. I still don’t feel like eating anything, but I should be able to find some “neutral” food here.

Singapore crashed on me like a wave. I remember it being nice, but now it appears opulent. My room in the transit hotel feels fit for royalty. Things are clean, the faucets produce a full stream of (potable) water, and there’s even HOT water! It’s quiet and smoke-free. I have been wondering what the transition would be like. I know I was only gone for 2.5 weeks, but I adjust to new places very rapidly. Going from electricity and water being luxuries to necessities is quite a jump.

But I can reflect on that later. I have to hit up the transit desk in four hours, so I better sleep.

No comments: