Sunday, May 25, 2008

Indo, Day 5: Airport

It’s hard to believe the rate at which time has passed over the last couple of weeks. It feels like I was in Tokyo a week ago, not yesterday. I guess it’s the sheer number of places I’ve been compared to my normal routine back home. I was thinking about this as I tried to fall asleep last night: how amazing it is that we can get on a plane and go anywhere in the world in a matter of hours. And not just technologically, but that it’s part of the human spirit. In the hostel, I was surrounded by people from all over the globe, most of whom I gathered to be college students. College students have no money. But because of places like hostels and cheap transportation via train and commuter air, you really can get around for a small amount of money.

I’m half with these people and half on a different level. I took a major airline for the primary leg of my trip, something many of these people wouldn’t do. But upon arrival, we’re doing the same thing. Trying to make sense of cheap public transportation and staying at cheap hostels. If I had been more creative with my flight over here (couldn’t because of work restrictions and scheduling), I could have done this whole trip on a college student’s budget. If you don’t mind a little work, you really can go anywhere. I need to keep reminding myself of this and plan for more trips. Maybe even convince some people to come along. There’s plenty more of the world to see.

Coming off that thought, it will probably surprise you to hear that I spent today at the airport. Now, before you jump all over me, let’s focus on what’s really important here: Singapore designed an airport in which it’s possible to spend an entire day. It’s hard to explain just how amazing this airport is. It is, by far, the trendiest place I’ve been. There’s dozens of little coffee shops you’d expect to find on 23rd in Portland, restaurants with every cuisine imaginable, lounges….so much!

I did some reading online last night and planned out an adventure completely inside the airport. First, I set off to locate and visit the FIVE unique gardens scattered around the three terminals. You’ll have to look at the pictures, but these are amazing. Fully contained gardens with water features, fish, and bridges. That gives you an idea of just how big this airport is. There are hundreds of shops – people come to the airport like we go to the mall.

There are comfortable chairs. In an airport! Imagine that! Lounges where you can relax in soft chairs, and others with high backs perfect for sleeping. Why haven’t more places done this! There are computer terminals for Internet access scattered throughout, including at the gates themselves. I visited one of THREE movie theaters and watched a FREE movie. Then visited the game room where they had Xboxes, PS3s, and computers set up for killing time playing games. There are TVs everywhere showing sports and news from around the world. Restaurants have live music in the evening. There’s really no end to entertainment.

It’s utterly remarkable how much they fit into this airport. And, like the rest of Singapore, the architecture is breathtaking. The new Terminal 3 is beyond anything I’ve even heard of. Seriously, I love you PDX, but I don’t know how you won best airport the last two years with something like this out there. I would come back here just to hang out in the airport. It’s relaxing. And that’s why I decided to spend the day here. I needed a little actual vacation time before the intense work starts. Tokyo was great, but it’s work running around sightseeing. So was the first day in Singapore. But today I was able to just kick it, pop in and out of shops, sample different foods, and generally just relax. In an airport!

My ONLY complaint is the wireless. For as brilliant as these people are, they screwed up BIG TIME here. There is free wireless through? You go through the signup form, at the conclusion of which you find out that your password will be delivered to you via SMS. Uh…what now? My cell phone doesn’t work outside the US, and the international phone I have from work has an Indonesian SIM card in it. I’m not going to buy a Singapore SIM card – it would be cheaper to buy Internet. BAD SINGAPORE! And they advertise this system for transit travelers! Ha! It’s impossible to use! Fail!

I would come back here. I would like to see more of the city. I know there’s tons to do and lots to see, I simply wasn’t up for all of it on this trip. With any luck, I’ll be coming back through here in the future, and now that I know, can save up a little more money to take in more of the sights.

But now it’s time to get back in a winged box and make my way down to Indonesia. It’s not a US-based airline, so I’m sure a unique experience awaits me. I have pictures which I’ll upload from Medan. Broken Internet, remember?

The work starts tomorrow.

Oh, there was a story I wanted to share! While waiting for the subway this morning, they had a video playing actually showing someone carrying out a mock terrorist attack on the city by leaving his bag (bomb) on the train. People saw him, but no one did anything. And they show a train blowing up. Then the guy comes out to tell them that security is everyone’s business. If you don’t want someone blowing up your subway, DON’T LET THEM. I thought this was wonderful, and they should show it everywhere around the world. Especially on planes. It would be a lot harder to hijack after the passengers got a pep talk in laying the beatdown. Just a thought.

*** Update: Singapore pictures are now online. Like Tokyo, they need some work.

No comments: