Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm Back

Hello again. I've given up (or at least postponed) my ambitious plans for copying all my old posts, comments, and layout here before I wrote again. Got about halfway through my posts and ran out of time. Plan still is to do all that, but I don't want to put off writing in the meantime.

So what's going on? A lot. The last two weeks have been 12+ hour days at work, including Saturday. The big project going right now is building an inventory management system for our warehouse. This is a really fascinating project that I could write a lot about, something I plan to do later. The short of it is I've been designing a custom user interface for our volunteers to use while packing boxes. It's powered by touchscreen computers, barcode printers, and other nifty things. And it has to wrap up this week. Why? Hold that thought.

The other project getting underway is a complete overhaul of our website. We want to move it from the crappy/expensive current host to a more flexible in-house setup. But that requires re-creating every single page in the new system. Assuming I can even get the blasted thing running again....

Besides that, there's some cool stuff going on with phone systems, networks, and field offices. But, like I said, more on that later.

The reason I've been spending so much time on all this is because they want to run a pilot of the new inventory system in another week. But I'm leaving Wednesday for my trip to Indonesia. And if you've heard any news recently, SE Asia is a fairly happening place. So that should be exciting.

That's probably all I'm going to get off before I leave. I'm going to try writing every day of the trip, though I may not be able to post for a couple days at a time. But, again, more on all that later.

But, now, I'm going home. It's before midnight, and that feels good.

No comments: