Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Another Day in Haiti

Today was a day chock full of things, but let’s see what I can remember. It seems most of my time is spent doing very operational things, not all of which are very exciting to report on.

 

First, I was woken up at 6-something AM by people yelling and a gentle shaking sensation. I didn’t know what was going on, but everyone was running outside, so I ran outside. About that time, I realized we were having another earthquake. Also about that time, it ended. Everyone is fine and there’s not much additional damage to our facilities. The biggest downside is that Haitians are now even more terrified and unwilling to go into any building than they were before. This is hard, because to be treated, they have to go into the hospital.

 

I’ve been trying to work some connections to find ways for us to get supplies into Haiti. I took a trip to the US Embassy, which wasn’t nearly as helpful as I was hoping. After the soldier at the gate said he wouldn’t let me in just because I had a US Passport (and I reminded him that he has to), we sat in the parking lot. I found another soldier who was far more helpful and agreed to try to find someone in the military who knows about supply flights. We’ll see if anything comes of it.

 

We also got the big generator running. This is HUGE news because we’ve been unable to power the entire hospital until now. So we can finally run at capacity. And tomorrow we have several supply shipments coming in, along with teams. Still working on more reliable Internet, though.

 

Also getting a lot of media attention. Seems like I spend a couple hours a day playing media secretary for Dr. Dan and all his interview requests. We hope to do live video via Skype tonight with KGW, so that will be cool.

 

I really hope to get pictures and videos going to share the story of what’s going on here. We just haven’t had the time, but I know it’s important.

 

The Haitians are amazing people to watch. This morning, they gathered outside the hospital, laying hands on it and praying loudly for safety. Every night, groups are found sitting outside singing and praying. There is so much hope and joy, despite such sorrow and loss. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen anywhere else.

 

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and support.

 

And, yes, it’s still wicked hot here.

 

 

No comments: